Self-made Winter Jam
Hello my lovely friends,
I hope you are all doing well! I was wondering what you like to put on your bread or bread roll in the morning.
My favourite topping is strawberry jam: “Delicious!” Actually, grandma made a lot of it during summer, but it seems like we all loved it very much, as there is hardly any left.
Making jam in winter times? You think it is not possible? Then you probably don’t know the super recipe for a delicious baked-apple jam which can be perfectly prepared in autumn and winter.
For this jam, you need the following ingredients:
- 1,4 kg apples (unpeeled approx. 1kg)
- 500 g gelling sugar 2:1
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla sugar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Juice from ½ lemon
So let’s start!
- First you have to wash the apples properly, then peel, core and cut them into small cubes (about 1 x 1 cm or even smaller, if you like)
- Now you have to be careful and ask your parents for some help as the oven and the pan will get hot very fast!
Fill 3 tablespoons of sugar into a large pan and wait until it has melted and thus caramelised. Then you have to add the apple cubes quickly, keep on stirring properly and make sure that nothing gets burnt. Leave the apples in the pan, on a low heat, for about 10-15 minutes until all the caramel pieces have melted.
- “Oh, this is really heavy!”, you need the biggest pot you can find so that you can make lots of delicious jam. Fill in the apples from the pan and add the gelling sugar, cinnamon, vanilla sugar and lemon juice.
- Now cook the whole mass at medium heat for about 3-4 minutes until it starts gelatinising.
- Then you take a skimmer and carefully remove the foam from the gelatinised mass. But be careful, it is hot!
- It’s almost done! All you have to do now is filling the jam into nice little jam jars and close them well so that nothing runs out. It is better to let mum and dad help you, as the whole mass is still warm.
- Turn the jars upside down for about 5 minutes. This will make the jam keeping for a long time. If you can’t eat it all at once, it will last for about a year.
Quickly grab some bread rolls and put on some of your super yummy jam. Enjoy them together with a cup of warm tea. I think, the cold winter days can come!
You just have to post the answer to below question as comment on Facebook or Instagram:
Question: Which fruit do you need for my winter jam?
You can read the full conditions of participation here:
Enjoy your bread rolls and tea.
See you next time.